Here we go again: For the 13th time in 20 years, WBBM-Channel 2 has a new front line on its nightly newscasts.
The appointment this week of Brad Edwards to replace Rob Johnson alongside Irika Sargent marks the latest attempt by the CBS-owned station to pull itself out of the Nielsen netherworld.
There’s no reason to believe this configuration will prove any more successful than the dozen other attempts in the last two decades. You have to go back to 1993 for the last time CBS 2 was in first place at 10 p.m. (and that was just a tie that didn’t last a year).
Back to you, Brad and Irika?
A look back at CBS 2’s ever-changing 10 p.m. anchor lineup:
- Carol Marin (2000)
- David Kerley and Linda MacLennan (2000 to 2001)
- David Kerley and Tracy Townsend (2001 to 2002)
- Antonio Mora and Tracy Townsend (2002)
- Antonio Mora and Linda MacLennan (2002 to 2003)
- Antonio Mora and Tracy Townsend (2003)
- Antonio Mora and Diann Burns (2003 to 2007)
- Rob Johnson and Diann Burns (2007 to 2008)
- Rob Johnson and Anne State (2008 to 2009)
- Rob Johnson (2009 to 2010)
- Rob Johnson and Kate Sullivan (2010 to 2015)
- Rob Johnson and Irika Sargent (2015 to 2019)
- Brad Edwards and Irika Sargent (2019)