An apologetic Dave Savini said he took “full responsibility” for his actions after he pleaded guilty Tuesday to drunk driving last month in west suburban Naperville.
“There’s no doubt about it, I made a mistake and used bad judgement, to drive after drinking,” the WBBM-Channel 2 investigative reporter said in a statement after his appearance in DuPage County Circuit Court. It was the first public comment by Savini since his arrest Jan. 4 following a minor traffic accident in a Taco Bell parking lot.
“I take full responsibility and I apologize — I deeply regret it,” he said. “I will work hard to regain the trust of those who I may have let down.”
So what about his employer? Up to now the CBS-owned station has been mum, reporting nothing about Savini’s case on any of its newscasts and referring all questions to his lawyer. On Tuesday, the station finally reported the story on its website for the first time. I reached out to CBS 2 officials again for comment.
Which of the following responses do you think I received?
- A) “We consider drunk driving a very serious matter. As soon as we learned of the charges against our reporter, we placed him on unpaid leave of absence pending the outcome of the case. We now consider the matter resolved.”
- B) “As a news organization we have a responsibility to report stories that may reflect on us or our employees from time to time. We failed to do so in this case on advice of our company’s legal counsel. Now that Dave Savini has settled the matter, we will be reporting the story fully on our newscasts.”
- C) “This issue was a private legal matter that had nothing to do with Dave Savini’s employment with CBS 2 or his role as a journalist. It will serve as a reminder to us to respect the privacy of others who become involved in difficulties outside of their public duties.”
- D) “Dave Savini is a valued employee whose reputation as a journalist and whose distinguished body of work speak for themselves. We support his efforts to regain the trust of our viewers.”
- E) “No, we are not offering comment.”
If you guessed (E), you are correct.